Flu Shot Awareness
Chapa-De Health Care Auburn Grass Valley
Protect Yourself and Your Loved Ones from the Flu
In 2005, the Center for Disease Control and Prevention established the National Influenza Vaccination Week to highlight the importance of protecting yourself through the holiday season and beyond by getting an influenza vaccine (flu shot).
This year, the National Influenza Vaccination Week falls between December 3rd through December 9th and Chapa-De is reminding our patients that flu shots are available free of charge at our health centers and no appointment is needed.
What is the flu vaccination?
- Flu vaccines cause antibodies to develop in your body roughly two weeks after the vaccine has been administered.
Who should get vaccinated this season?
- Chapa-De recommends that everyone over the age of 6 months get a flu vaccination every season.
- The flu vaccination is especially important for those who are at high risk of serious complications from getting the flu and the people who have contact with them. High risk individuals include:
- Children younger than 5 years old
- Adults 65 and older
- Pregnant women
- Residents of Nursing homes or long-term care facilities
- American Indians and Alaskan Natives
- Anyone suffering from medical conditions that can be worsened by the flu
- Individuals who have already suffered from the flu can benefit from getting the flu vaccine, since the vaccination prevents multiple types of flu.
Often, people feel that as the end of the year draws closer it may be too late to benefit from a flu shot. Chapa-De wants to remind our patients that as long as the flu virus is spreading (usually through late Spring), it is important to protect yourself by getting vaccinated.
Free flu shots are available to Chapa-De patients Monday thru Friday between 8:30 am -11:30 am and 1:30 pm – 4:30 pm at both of our Health Centers. No appointment necessary. You are also welcome to schedule an appointment with your primary care provider if you would like to discuss your questions about the flu vaccine prior to getting one, to schedule an appointment please call (530) 887-2800 for our Auburn Health Center or (530) 477-8545 for our Grass Valley Health Center.
PASSIONATE PEOPLE. COMPASSIONATE CARE.
Chapa-De provides medical care, dental care, optometry, behavioral health, pharmacy services and much more.
Serving all American Indian, Low Income and Limited Income Community
Chapa-De Indian Healthcare Auburn Grass Valley