SIDS Awareness Month
Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS) is something every new parent worries about. It’s rare and not talked about very much for fear of speaking it into existence but it can happen any time during the first year of your baby’s life. Experts aren’t always sure what makes these deaths happen but there are things you can do to help reduce the risks.
What is SIDS?
Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS) is a form of Sudden Unexpected Infant Death (SUID), a term used when a baby a year or younger in age suddenly passes away without obvious cause. This happens most often during a baby’s sleep.
Is My Baby at Risk For SIDS?
While every newborn is at risk, there are certain things that can increase your baby’s risk of SIDS. These include:
- An unsafe sleeping area such as loose bedding, crowded crib, co-sleeping, and more
- Babies born premature have an increased risk up to 4x than a baby born full-term
- Babies born male are slightly more at-risk
- Mothers drinking while pregnant
- Mothers smoking while pregnant
- Secondhand smoke exposure after birth
While the chance of SIDS is never truly zero, there are things you can do to help prevent it.
- Back Sleep – Placing your baby on their back to sleep not only reduces their chance of rolling over on their sides and bellies, but also reduces the risk of suffocation.
- Nurse for at least the first 2 months – We aren’t sure why but breastfeeding for as long as you can helps reduce SIDS by 50%.
- Give baby a binky
- Vaccinate at every milestone
Prenatal Care and Beyond at Chapa-De
We know that there are a lot of unknowns as a parent, especially if you are having your first child. Chapa-De services and programs help families get the support needed for a healthy pregnancy and beyond.
We provide prenatal health services at both our Auburn and Grass Valley Health Centers. This includes:
- Monthly checkups
- Chapa-De’s Baby Luv Program
- And more!
Learn more about our Prenatal Care program HERE.
There is a lot of information for new parents. It is easy to get overwhelmed. Our team at Baby Luv is here to help. Our specially trained team offer advice, education, and even baby essentials to make the transition to parenthood easier. Our services include:
- Classes and one-on-one information about pregnancy, child birth, baby care and breastfeeding
- Information about where to go for community resources such as financial help, health insurance like Medi-Cal, or food programs like WIC and local food banks
- Help with cutting down or quitting smoking, drinking or using drugs
- Help eating healthy foods while pregnant
- Counseling on problems or family issues you may have
- Postpartum care to assure a positive recovery
- Newborn care to assure your baby has a healthy start in life
- Future family planning
- And more!
We also have an incentive program to help patients prepare for baby. By participating in the Baby Luv program, you receive incentive points for completing regular pregnancy appointments and educational classes. These points can be used in our Baby Luv store for baby clothing, blankets, monitors, and much more!
Learn more about our Baby Luv program HERE.
Perinatal Program and Pediatric Care
In the first year of life, Baby and their birthing parent need special care for healing and development. Extra support is provided to families throughout baby’s first year of life to ensure you and your baby have everything you need. Chapa-De can provide or connect you with these services:
- Doctors & Nurses
- Health Educators & Nutritionists
- Community Health & Social workers
- Job counselors
- Medi-Cal workers
After the first year, your baby can continue their care with our Pediatric team for:
- Well-child visits
- Childhood vaccines
- Complete physical exams
- And more!
You Are Not Alone
The first year of your baby’s life can be exciting and also a little scary. Know that you aren’t alone. Our caring and supportive team can answer not only questions about SIDS, but any other worry you may have as your child grows.
Contact us today to get started.
Chapa-De Indian Health Auburn Grass Valley | Medical Clinic
PASSIONATE PEOPLE. COMPASSIONATE CARE.
Chapa-De provides medical care, dental care, optometry, behavioral health, pharmacy services and much more.
Serving all American Indian, Low Income and Limited Income Community Members