WORKPLACE EYE WELLNESS MONTH
WORKPLACE EYE WELLNESS MONTH Chapa De Indian Healthcare Auburn Grass Valley
Your eyes are IMPORTANT! It’s easy to take our eyesight for granted and in honor of Workplace Eye Wellness Month, Chapa-De Indian Health encourages you to take steps to protect your eyes and vision.
Our eyes are exposed to hazards every day. These hazards are sometimes obvious, for example if you work with machinery, chemicals or in a construction trade. Other hazards may be harder to recognize. Did you know that if you look at computer or cell phone screens for long periods of time it can cause Retina damage? Keep reading below for easy tips to protect your eyes.
How to Prevent Eye Injuries:
- Annual eye exams are not only to check your vision, but also make sure that you don’t have a common injury. Optometrists will be able to quickly evaluate your eyes and inform you of any irregularity. If there is a problem, they can help.
- Wearing certified and approved eyewear increases your eyes safety during various work-related jobs where your eyes could be harmed. This type of eyewear is something that every office should have available and there are different types of protective eyewear for different type of jobs.
- Click HERE to learn more about protective eyewear and what eyewear is considered certified safe.
- Drinking water and staying hydrated is important in ensuring that your eyes stay hydrated, giving them the fluid that they need to remove things like dust or other particles that your eyes may be exposed to in the workplace.
- Don’t forget to blink as this will keep your eyes from drying out, especially when you’re sitting at a computer all day. We don’t realize it, but when we stare a screen all day at work, our blinking is affected too.
- Don’t stare at screens for too long. Every 20 minutes take a break from looking at your computer screen. Close your eyes, blink, focus on something farther away.
- Wash your hands often and avoid rubbing your eyes to prevent infections.
- Some Health Conditions, like Diabetes, can also cause vision loss so it’s also important to work with your healthcare team to address any underlying issues that may also impact your vision.
Also keep in mind that not all eye injuries are obvious. Here are some common symptoms to watch for:
- Difficulty focusing
- Inability to produce tears to hydrate your eyes
- Lasting irritation
- Temporary loss of vision
If you have questions or concerns about your eye health, we encourage you to call (530) 887-2800 to schedule an appointment with Chapa-De’s Optometry Department at our Auburn Health Center.
WORKPLACE EYE WELLNESS MONTH
PASSIONATE PEOPLE. COMPASSIONATE CARE.
Chapa-De provides medical care, dental care, optometry, behavioral health, pharmacy services and much more.
Serving all American Indian, Low Income and Limited Income Community
Chapa-De Indian Healthcare Auburn Grass Valley