NATIONAL NUTRITION MONTH
NATIONAL NUTRITION MONTH Chapa De Indian Healthcare Auburn Grass Valley
March is recognized as National Nutrition Month. This is a month that Chapa-De Indian Health wants to help teach the community how to eat healthier and be healthier.
The first step to a healthier lifestyle, is to examine what you are currently eating on daily basis. Does your diet include the following?
- Fast Food, such as cheeseburgers, pizza and french fries
- Candy or chocolate
- Foods that have trans-fat, like popcorn, doughnuts and most fast food
- Foods that are high in saturated fat, like pork, butter and cream
- Soda or energy drinks, containing large amounts of sugar
- Beer or other alcohol
If your diet looks like the above, think about making healthier decisions throughout the day. Here some great tips:
- Instead of cooking with butter, try using olive oil or nut butter. Butter is high in saturated fat and can lead to higher cholesterol and blood pressure. Removing saturated fats can lead to a healthier heart and weight loss.
- When you think about going out to a restaurant to eat, think about cooking at home instead. When you cook at home, you can control what goes into your food. Try pairing a healthy protein, such as chicken, with a side of vegetables and salad. For the salad make your own dressing, using olive oil and balsamic vinegar. Try not to use too much salt and sugar at home when cooking.
- Portion control is another important dietary tip. Eating smaller meals more often throughout the day is healthier than eating 3 large meals for breakfast, lunch and dinner. To learn more about portion control and easy tips to control the size of your meal click HERE.
- Try to limit the amount of alcohol you drink throughout the week. Large quantities of alcohol are damaging for your liver, contain lots of calories and can impair your judgement.
- Drink lots of water every day and make sure to always stay hydrated.
What are healthy protein options to eat?
- Fish, such as salmon or tuna
- Steak or other meat that is lean and low in fat
What are healthy snacks to eat throughout the day?
- Nuts, such as almond or cashews
- Vegetables, such as bell peppers, carrots or celery
In addition to eating healthy, remember to exercise. Exercising is a key ingredient in living a healthier life. Get up and get outside. Go for a walk or a run. Go to the gym and lift weights or do simple exercises like pushups, lunges and sit-ups at home.
Remember, when you live healthier, your kids will eat and be healthier too. For more information speak with a Chapa-De Nutritionist. Call (530) 887-2800 for Auburn or (530) 47-8545 for Grass Valley.
PASSIONATE PEOPLE. COMPASSIONATE CARE.
Chapa-De provides medical care, dental care, optometry, behavioral health, pharmacy services and much more.
Serving all American Indian, Low Income and Limited Income Community
Chapa-De Indian Healthcare Auburn Grass Valley