Encouraging Vitality: September is Healthy Aging Month!
Aging is something to be proud of. Through all the years, the wisdom gained, and life experiences have shaped not only your family and friends but our community around us. You have taken care of us, now it is time for us to take care of you.
Healthcare needs change as we get older. Care and services need to be catered to the individual and their health journey. There is no better time than Healthy Aging Month to help our patients learn more about the services we offer and how to promote health as you age.
Chapa-De Services for Elders and Older Adults
Promoting health and preventing disease is very important for Elders and older adults. As our bodies change, so do what they need to keep moving. Being proactive about physical, cognitive, and mental health can have a big impact on quality of life as we age. That’s why we’ve made it easy to prioritize your health with Chapa-De’s whole person care approach.
Chapa-De offers a variety of services for Elders and older adults, which includes:
- Complete Physical Exam with Immunizations
- Management of Chronic Illnesses
- Counseling on Nutrition, Exercise and Lifestyle
- Classes and support groups
- Screening Exams for Vision, Hearing, Tuberculosis and Cancers
- Therapy services to help you navigate the changes of life
- Cognitive health screening and care planning
- Dental appliances like dentures and bridges
- And more!
We encourage you to make an appointment with your provider to talk about your health and go over any concerns you may have. We’ve got you covered.
Ways to Promote Health as You Age
Many things can impact your health as you age. This includes genetics, which is out of our control. However, there are some things that we can do to make a positive difference and extend vitality.
To promote your physical health, you can:
- Stay active and exercise regularly. A body in motion stays in motion!
- Eat healthy foods. Our in-house nutritionists have the best recipes to make healthy eating so tasty, even your grandkids will love it!
- Get plenty of sleep to recharge your body and promote brain health
- Quit smoking and limit alcohol intake. Ask our nutritionists about the latest mocktail trend, cheers!
- Stay up to date on health care exams and preventative care appointments
Time to whip out that Bridge set! To promote your cognitive and mental wellbeing, it can be beneficial to participate in hobbies, social, or leisure activities. Some mentally stimulating activities are reading, writing letters, playing games, and even turning on your favorite game show.
We also suggest that you:
- Avoid social isolation and loneliness. Seniors First is available at (530) 889-9500 for a Friendly Call when you need it, or visit one of our local senior centers (Placer County Senior Centers I Grass Valley Senior Center)
- Keep stress levels low. Taking a walk or taking a break from a situation is a great place to start
- Work on emotional regulation. Even when things feel overwhelming, it’s amazing what a deep breath and some thinking can do
- Look out for signs of depression. These can include oversleeping, lack of enjoyment in things you normally enjoy, and more.
Resources are available to help with these suggestions.
Read our latest News for more:
For more information about Chapa-De, call our Auburn location at (530) 887-2800 or our Grass Valley location at (530) 477-8545 or visit us online at chapa-de.org
Chapa-De Indian Health Auburn Grass Valley | Medical Clinic
PASSIONATE PEOPLE. COMPASSIONATE CARE.
Chapa-De provides medical care, dental care, optometry, behavioral health, pharmacy services and much more.
Serving all American Indian, Low Income and Limited Income Community Members