The Summer Calls for Blueberries
Chapa-De Indian Health Auburn Grass Valley | Medical Clinic
Blueberries are small, vibrant berries jam-packed with vitamins and health benefits. Celebrate National Blueberry Month by picking up some fresh blueberries today!
What is a blueberry?
Known as a superfood, blueberries are small, bluish-purple berries that are full of flavor and vitamins.
Why are blueberries healthy?
Blueberries are high in antioxidants, and offer many health benefits, including:
- Preventing heart disease and cancer
- Maintaining mental health
- Keeping a healthy blood pressure
- Decreasing the risk of obesity and diabetes
- Maintaining healthy bones
- Having healthy skin
- Click HERE to read more about the health benefits of blueberries.
How can I eat blueberries?
Blueberries can be eaten fresh or added to many different recipes. Here are some ideas on how to add more blueberries into your diet:
- Use blueberries as toppings on oatmeal, pancakes or yogurt
- Make a blueberry smoothie
- Mix blueberries into a salad
- Add blueberries into muffins or pastries
- Blend blueberries with water into a fresh syrup to add on breakfast foods
- Click HERE for more ideas on how to eat blueberries.
One of our favorite ways to eat blueberries is in a delicious smoothie. Check out one of favorite blueberry smoothie recipes below.
- Place apple juice or milk, banana, blueberries and Greek yogurt in a blender.
- Blend until completely smooth.
- Pour into a glass and enjoy!
- Click HERE for the full recipe.
For more healthy blueberry recipes, click HERE.
Where to buy blueberries
Blueberries are available at almost all grocery stores and can be found in the produce section. In the summertime blueberries can also be bought at local farmer’s markets. By purchasing blueberries at a farmer’s market you can support local farmers and get the freshest produce. Click HERE to find a farmer’s market close to you.
You can also get blueberries by signing up for the CalFresh program, which will help those shopping on budget get quality produce for a low cost. Click HERE to learn more about CalFresh and find out how to apply.
Nutrition at Chapa-De
At Chapa-De, we believe eating well and having good nutrition is the key to living a healthy life. Our goal is to help you advance your health and well-being in any and every way possible, which includes eating well. We have created many classes and programs to help you learn about nutrition and health education. Please click HERE for a full calendar of our health and wellness programs.
For more information on our programs, or for general questions, please call our Auburn location at (530) 887-2810 or our Grass Valley location at (530) 477-8545 or visit us online at chapa-de.org.
PASSIONATE PEOPLE. COMPASSIONATE CARE.
Chapa-De provides medical care, dental care, optometry, behavioral health, pharmacy services and much more.
Serving all American Indian, Low Income and Limited Income Community
Chapa-De Indian Healthcare Auburn Grass Valley