Importance of Mental Health
Chapa-De Indian Health Auburn Grass Valley | Medical Clinic
Often times when we talk about health we are referring to our physical health. Are we eating well, do we have a cold coming on, and things like that. But mental health is a big part of our overall well-being, too. Taking the time to make sure we are happy and mentally fit is critical. Today is World Mental Health Day. Take the time to evaluate your mental health now.
What is mental health?
The term mental health includes our emotional, phycological and social-well-being and affects how we think, feel and act. When we have good mental health we feel good about ourselves, are able to handle stress, relate to others and make good choices.
Why is mental health important?
When our mental health suffers, our thinking, mood and behavior are negatively affected. These problems can lead to bad decision making, bad physical health and overall worse well-being. Early warning signs of mental health struggles can include:
- Eating or sleeping too much or too little
- Pulling away from close ones or fighting with them
- Having little to no energy
- Abusing alcohol or drugs
- Experiencing severe mood swings
- Thinking of harming yourself or others
- Failing to complete daily tasks like caring for your children or going to the grocery store
- Click HERE for more information on early warning signs.
On the other hand, when we have good mental health, we are able to:
- Handle stress well
- Be productive
- Realize our full potential
Who is prone to mental health problems?
There are many reasons one can suffer from mental health issues. But there are a few key factors you can pay attention to as you evaluate your mental health.
- Biological factors
- Are my genes and brain chemistry affecting my mental health?
- Life experiences
- Have I suffered trauma or abuse?
- Family history
- Has anyone in my family had mental health problems?
- Click HERE to read more about who is more susceptible to mental health problems.
Where to get help
If you or a loved one are suffering from mental health problems, there are many ways you can work towards positive change.
- Getting professional help and seeing a doctor
- Staying positive
- Being physically active
- Connect with loved ones
- Develop coping skills
- Click HERE for more information on achieving good mental health.
Chapa-De’s mental health services
At Chapa-De we prioritize your mental health as much as your physical health. That is why we offer integrated mental and behavioral health services to help you meet your goals for mental and emotional health. Our available services include treatments for:
- Mood Instability
- Substance Abuse
- Anger Management
- Child Behavioral and Emotional Problems
- Domestic Violence
For more information on our services and how to schedule an appointment, please call our Auburn location at (530) 887-2800 or our Grass Valley location at (530) 477-8545 or visit us online at chapa-de.org.
PASSIONATE PEOPLE. COMPASSIONATE CARE.
Chapa-De provides medical care, dental care, optometry, behavioral health, pharmacy services and much more.
Serving all American Indian, Low Income and Limited Income Community
Chapa-De Indian Healthcare Auburn Grass Valley