Do You Love Avocados?
Chapa-De Indian Health Auburn Grass Valley | Medical Clinic
Looking for a way to make your diet healthier? Today is National Avocado Day and we are here to tell you about all the ways avocados can help improve your health!
The avocado is a unique fruit that has lots of healthy fats and other health benefits. Avocados grow on avocado trees and are rich in flavor and texture. There are different sizes, colors and shapes of avocados, but the most popular variety is called the Hass Avocado. You eat the yellow-green flesh inside the avocado and throw away the skin and seed.
What makes avocados healthy?
The health benefits of avocados include:
- 20 different vitamins and minerals
- More potassium than a banana
- Heart-healthy monosaturated fatty acids
- Loaded with fiber
- Lower cholesterol
- Help you absorb other nutrients
- Powerful antioxidants
- Prevent cancer
- Relieve Arthritis
- Lose weight
- Click HERE to read more about the health benefits of avocados.
How can I introduce avocados into my diet?
There are many, many ways you can add avocados into your diet. Here are a few ideas:
- With eggs
- On multigrain or wheat toast
- In guacamole
- In soups and salads
- In smoothies
- Click HERE for more ideas of how to eat avocados
One of our favorite ways to eat avocados is in guacamole. There are many ways to make guacamole. Here is one recipe we love:
- Cut avocados in half and remove the seed. Cut the flesh into squares and scoop the squares into a bowl.
- Squeeze lime juice over the squares.
- Cut and dice jalapeno, red onion, garlic, tomatoes and cilantro and add into the bowl.
- Serve with a healthy pita chip or multigrain chip or as a side with any meal and enjoy!
- Click HERE for the full recipe.
For more avocado recipes, click HERE.
Where to buy avocados
Avocados are available at most local grocery stores. You can also get avocados by signing up for the CalFresh program, which will help those shopping on budget get quality produce for a low cost. Click HERE to learn more about CalFresh and find out how to apply.
Nutrition at Chapa-De
Eating healthy is one the easiest ways to stay both physically and mentally healthy. At Chapa-De, we believe a healthy diet is necessary to living a healthy life. That is why we offer several classes and programs to help you learn about nutrition and health education. Please click HERE for a full calendar of our health and wellness programs.
For more information on our programs, or for general questions, please call our Auburn location at (530) 887-2810 or our Grass Valley location at (530) 477-8545 or visit us online at chapa-de.org.
PASSIONATE PEOPLE. COMPASSIONATE CARE.
Chapa-De provides medical care, dental care, optometry, behavioral health, pharmacy services and much more.
Serving all American Indian, Low Income and Limited Income Community
Chapa-De Indian Healthcare Auburn Grass Valley