This month we want to highlight our Dental Care services at Chapa-De. It is common for our patients and the communities that we serve to take their oral hygiene for granted. And we understand!
There are many reasons for this:
- Finances – Many of you are parents. As a parent, your children’s needs come first. When financial limitations come into play, it is easy to forget about your health needs and focus on those of your children.
- Worry & Discomfort – Many patients agree that going to the dentist or orthodontist is scary. Leaning back in a chair while someone examines something as personal as your mouth can be uncomfortable.
But remember, your oral hygiene is important for your smile and for your overall health.
Why is it important?
You may not realize it, but the health of your teeth, your gums, and the rest of your mouth can affect the health of your entire body. Poor oral care doesn’t just lead to yellow teeth or swollen gums. It can lead to cardiovascular disease and heart issues, among other potential problems. Poor oral care can also create additional issues for those with diabetes.
What can create oral issues?
- Not brushing your teeth twice daily
- Not flossing
- Junk food and foods containing lots of sugar
- Not visiting a dental care professional routinely, as specified by your doctor
The above issues can lead to a number issues in the future, including:
- Tooth decay
- Gum disease
- Need for a root canal
- Dry mouth
- Bad breath
- Cardiovascular disease
- Click HERE to learn about the issues caused by poor oral care.
What can you do at home to help with your oral hygiene?
- Brush your teeth two times a day
- Make sure you are using a toothbrush with bristles that have not frayed
- Use toothpaste with fluoride
- Use mouthwash
- Floss daily
- Limit eating candy or other foods that contain lots of sugar
- Don’t smoke
Our Team & Services:
Chapa-De’s Dental Department is filled with caring professionals – something that can help ease patients’ minds when they step into our health centers. Our dental team can help with all of your dental needs. They can help with examinations, cleanings, fillings, crowns, dentures and even orthodontic braces. Our facilities offer state of the art equipment including all digital x-rays and Panorex imaging.
- Diagnostic Exams
- Oral Hygiene Instruction
- Dental Prophylaxis (cleaning)
- Digital X-Rays
- Restorative Care (fillings)
- Dental Appliances (crowns, bridges, dentures)
- Limited Root Canals
- Limited Oral Surgery
- Fluoride Treatments
- Orthodontia (in Auburn only)
Not only does our Dental Department provide the services listed above, our team creates a place of trust. Dr. Pauline Karunakaran has been with Chapa-De for nine years and she gets it! “Letting someone examine your mouth can be a very personal thing and can make some patients uncomfortable. That is why trust is so important here. We pride ourselves on creating an atmosphere of safety and knowledge,” says Dr. Karunakaran.
Being focused on our patients and patient concerns is something that Chapa-De truly cares about. Whether you’re in Dr. Karunakaran’s office or speaking with a receptionist, we want you to know that our goal is to preserve your health every day.
To make an appointment in our Dental Department call our Auburn location at (530) 887-2810 or our Grass Valley location at (530) 477-8545. You can also learn more about our services and team members online at https://chapa-de.org/dental-care/.
Dental Care in Auburn and Grass Valley
PASSIONATE PEOPLE. COMPASSIONATE CARE.
Chapa-De provides medical care, dental care, optometry, behavioral health, pharmacy services and much more.
Serving all American Indian, Low Income and Limited Income Community
Chapa-De Indian Healthcare Auburn Grass Valley