Healthy Eating During the Holidays
Chapa-De Indian Health Auburn Grass Valley | Medical Clinic
While the holiday season can be a joyous time shared with loved ones and full of cheer, it is also a time when we can forget our healthy eating habits. Of course it’s okay to treat ourselves once in a while, but we need to be careful not to overdo it with all the holiday treats that are around.
Tips for staying healthy
It may be difficult to maintain your everyday diet during the holiday season, but there are ways to make sure you are staying healthy during this indulgent time.
- If you are hosting…
- Shop smart
- Focus on produce
- Lighten up your recipes
- If you are a guest…
- Eat regularly and don’t fast before the big meal
- Eat a nutritious snack before you go
- Use a small plate to help with portion control
- Start simple—there is always more!
- Wait 10 minutes before deciding on that second serving
- Limit alcohol intake
- Socialize away from the food
- Find activities that don’t involve food
Sometimes we need a little extra help to keep us on the right track during the holidays. If you are concerned about your holiday eating, it is a good idea to check in with your Chapa-De Primary Care Provider or a member of our Diabetes Team. You might ask them:
- What can I do before the holidays to help myself eat better when they arrive?
- What are good foods to eat during the holidays?
- How can I make sure I don’t overeat?
- How can I adjust recipes to make them healthier?
Click HERE for more helpful tips on healthy holiday eating.
For more information or to schedule an appointment, please call our Auburn location at (530) 887-2800 or our Grass Valley location at (530) 477-8545 or visit us online at chapa-de.org.
PASSIONATE PEOPLE. COMPASSIONATE CARE.
Chapa-De provides medical care, dental care, optometry, behavioral health, pharmacy services and much more.
Serving all American Indian, Low Income and Limited Income Community
Chapa-De Indian Healthcare Auburn Grass Valley